The first Ohio leadership seminar took place in 1978, attended by 150 Ohio students. The seminar quickly expanded and required a second seminar to be held in Northern Ohio in 1981. These two seminars outgrew themselves and a third site was created for the Western Ohio region in 1988. The Southwest Ohio Leadership Seminar was created by volunteers from the Western region in 1995 and was attended by 126 ambassadors; bringing the number of seminars in Ohio to four.
Today, the Southwest Ohio HOBY Leadership Seminar has blossomed into one of the top HOBY programs in the nation. In the last 23 years, HOBY has recognized Southwest Ohio 18 times with its highest honor as an “Outstanding Seminar.”
To inspire and develop our global community of youth and volunteers to a life dedicated to leadership, service and innovation.
To motivate and empower individuals to make a positive difference within our global society through understanding and action based on effective and compassionate leadership.
• VOLUNTEERISM – Volunteerism is the heart and soul of our organization. We appreciate the myriad contributions of our volunteers, and recognize the power of thank you and of giving back. We seek to promote and encourage service among our stakeholders. We recognize and value the positive accomplishments that volunteers can achieve by working together. We believe that volunteers are positively impacted by our programs as much as the youth and communities we serve.
• INTEGRITY – Integrity forms the foundation of our organization. We demand the highest level of ethics. We grow our organization based on interaction that promote mutual trust and respect with our stakeholders and partners. We strive to ensure the highest level of organizational effectiveness by continually reviewing our programs and processes to improve quality and efficiency.
• EXCELLENCE – We strive to continually raise our programs and business to new levels of excellence. We encourage entrepreneurship and innovation in business, education, and social responsibility. We develop creative solutions to address challenges and to utilize opportunities. We believe that leadership skills can and should be continually improved and refined.
• DIVERSITY – We value and embrace diversity. We seek out views that reflect all walks of life, and reflect those views in our programs. We are sensitive to the special needs and diverse backgrounds of individuals. We give all individuals an equal opportunity to be heard and to benefit from our programs.
• COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP – We value community partnerships. We recognize the importance of working with community organizations to strengthen our supportive network. We value the input we receive from our community partners, and strive to work together cooperatively and constructively for the betterment of all.
Southwest Ohio HOBY’s most direct beneficiaries are the high school sophomores (at least one from each school) who attend our leadership seminar each year. Southwest Ohio HOBY benefits those schools which send their student ambassadors to our seminar, since these students return to their schools with a new vitality, a greater sense of purpose, and a new set of resources that they can use to make their schools and communities better places in which to live. Southwest Ohio HOBY sponsors benefit from the knowledge that they have contributed to the enhancement of their student’s leadership potential, and therefore to their community’s future. And, although no members of the staff or the board receive any financial compensation from Southwest Ohio HOBY, the personal rewards of their volunteer participation are enormous!
Programs of Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership and Ohio Leadership Seminars, Inc. (Southwest Ohio and Ohio North) are funded through contributions from corporations, foundations and individuals. Gifts to the organization are tax deductible under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Service Code.