Student Information Page
Now that you are registered to attend Southwest Ohio HOBY, get ready for an amazing adventure. You’re going to experience an enthusiastic learning environment like you’ve never seen before. You’re going to learn a lot, laugh a ton, and meet many dynamic and exciting people, hopefully making many great new friends along the way.
We challenge you to be willing to step outside the box and embrace the experience being offered to you. We promise you won’t be disappointed. Below are some frequently asked questions to help you prepare for your Southwest Ohio HOBY experience.
When and where will Southwest Ohio HOBY be held?
The 2019 seminar is scheduled for June 27 – June 30, 2019 on the campus of Antioch College. Participants, parents and schools will receive arrival and departure information prior to the seminar.
What happens after I am registered?
Once you have been registered for Southwest Ohio HOBY , you will receive more detailed information about what to bring and what to expect. Our planning committee will send this information to you approximately 6-8 weeks before the event – the information will come via e-mail, so be sure to watch for it in the inbox you used for registration. Make sure to mark the program dates on your calendar and get ready for a memorable experience!
What should I expect when I get there?
You should expect:
- To be exposed to important ideas, including opinions that may differ from your own
- To interact one-on-one with decision makers in education, government, business and other professions
- To jump in and discover more about issues impacting you and your community
- To be challenged to be a person who succeeds in making a difference to improve your community
- To be challenged to commit to 100 hours of volunteer service in the next year to help make your community stronger, any way you believe you can
- To make new friends who are also committed to making a positive difference in this world
- To get less sleep than you’d like
- And to have more fun than you ever expected!
Also, you should NOT expect to be told what to think or to coast, cruise, or let others do the work. From the moment you attend a HOBY program, you will be treated like a leader and encouraged to think critically about a wide range of issues that impact your life and the world.
What if I am registered and then unable to attend?
If circumstances arise that prevent you from attending the entire program you are registered for, we would like to give another student from your school the opportunity to attend. Please immediately go to the high school counselor or principal who registered you and inform him/her of your situation. Also, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know immediately.